Time : 15:10 pm – 16:30 pm (Seoul Time), 06:10 am – 07:30 am (UTC), 02:10 am – 03:30 am (EST) on 21 May 2021
The world spent an astronomical amount of $1,917 billion(2.377 quadrillion in KRW) of military spending in 2019 which is 2.2 percent of the world’s GDP. It is increasing arms trade and arms production day by day. Military spending of South Korea is also the same. However, the COVID-19 pandemic and climate crisis are asking us what “security” should be to protect the earth and humanity. The world has spent astronomical amounts to prepare for war, but it has lost the opportunity to respond to what actually threatens human safety.
In this session, we will look at current levels of military spending globally from a critical perspective and discuss disarmament and the need to change the concept of security.
- Moderator : Yongsuk LEE / Activist, World Without War
- Presenter 1 : Jordi CALVO RUFANGES / Vice President, International Peace Bureau (IPB)
- Presenter 2 : Chloé MEULEWAETER / Researcher, Center Delàs for Peace Studies
- Presenter 3 : Tori BATEMAN / Policy Advocacy Coordinator, American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
- Presenter 4 : Sooyoung HWANG / Manager of Center for Peace and Disarmament, People’s Solidarity for Participatory Democracy (PSPD)
You can see the detailed program of each session from the below link. We invite you all to share your views and insights on building peace on the Korean Peninsula!
Please ▶ pre-register at the DMZ forum website or watch it through Youtube live stream. You can find the Youtube link from the DMZ forum website on the day.
*Korean-English simultaneous interpretation will be provided