Pax Christi International in the Global Day of Action on Military Spending
April 14, 2014 by IPB
Pax Christi International has invited faith-based organisations and religious communities worldwide to join the “Disarmament for Sustainable Development Campaign” as launched by the International Peace Bureau. The main goal of this initiative is to press for an end to excessive military expenditures and for significant investment to address human insecurity and threats to the planet.
Pax Christi International is very concerned about and brings attention to the increasing military expenditures (compared to 2012 data) in the following regions and countries:
- Africa (large increase). Top five spenders are Algeria (exceeding $10 billion for the first time), Angola, South Africa, Morocco and Libya. Increasing military expenses in: Ghana, Mauritius, Angola, DRCongo, Seychelles, Zambia, Tunisia, Morocco and Mali.
- Asia and Oceania (significant increase). Top five spenders are China, Japan, India, South Korea and Australia. Increasing military expenses in: Afghanistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka and Kazakhstan.
- Central and South America (small increase). Top five spenders are: Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Chile and Venezuela. Increasing military expenses in: Paraguay, Honduras, Nicaragua, Colombia and Peru.
- Europe (slight decrease). Top five spenders are Russia, France, United Kingdom, Germany and Italy. Increasing military expenses in Ukraine, Belarus, Malta and Portugal.
- Middle East (significant increase). Top five spenders are Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iran and Oman. Increasing military expenses in Iraq, Bahrain, and Saudi Arabia.
Click here to read the complete article.