The Global Days of Action on Military Spending (GDAMS) 2020 bring attention to the vast opportunity costs of the current levels of military spending, 1’82 trillion US$ a year, almost $5 billion per day, $239 per person. When a minority of the global population decides to finance war preparations, we all lose the opportunity to fund policies that tackle our real security threats.
Global Days of Action on Military Spending (GDAMS) will take place from April 10 to May 9.
These dates include 🗓️
– April 15: Tax Day in the U.S (postponed))
– April 27: GDAMS press conferences on the occasion of SIPRI’s release of new data on military spending (figures for 2019)
– May 1: International Workers Day
– May 9: Europe’s Day of Peace & Unity
Take action to move the money from the military to health, join GDAMS 2020!
· Join our online campaign!
· Use and share our statements and infographics.
· Sign and share IPB’s petition: Invest in Healthcare Instead of Militarization
· Organize a webinar or a national press conference on April 27. So far we have confirmed Seoul, Sydney, Berlin, Barcelona, Washington D.C, Buenos Aires, Rosario, Montevideo and Cucutá.
· Contact online your local/national representatives/congresspeople and ask them to position themselves and support demilitarization and major reductions of military spending.
· Use your social networks, stay active on social media debates, find allies, write an op-ed! How we understand and tell the story of this crisis as a society will define the measures to be taken afterwards.