Another Action Alert from our friends at NPN:
Dear New Priorities friends:
The fight over next year’s budget is beginning, and it is beginning with a serious proposal to end the wars and cut military spending. Weigh in!
This morning the US House of Representatives is voting on alternatives to the GOP’s slash-and-burn budget for next year.
Please call your Congressperson now. Urge ’em to vote for the Congressional Progressive Caucus substitute amendment that ends the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and reduces the Pentagon budget. The number is 202-225-3121.
Don’t delay. Votes on the substitute amendments will probably happen by early or midafternoon.
Background: the “People’s Budget” from the Congresssional Progressive Caucus would
* End the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan by ending emergency war funding for the wars.
* Cut the base Pentagon budget — not just go after “fraud and abuse,” but cut deployments overseas, the size of the Navy and Air Force, growth in the Army and Marines, in other words the Pentagon’s capacity to wage wars overseas.
(See Bob Naiman, http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/04/14/967002/-A-Vote-on-the-Peoples-Budget-is-a-Vote-on-the-Wars)
Finally, a group of Congresspeople is trying to FUND JOBS AND SERVICES IN OUR COMMUNITIES by ENDING THE WARS and CUTTING MILITARY SPENDING.
Don’t let this opportunity go by. Call now. More details on the CPC “People’s Budget” are attached. It also:
* Creates good-paying jobs
* Fully maintains our social safety net
* Invests in education
* Closes the tax loopholes that have made offshoring jobs profitable
* Ends oil and gas subsidies that pollute our country at taxpayer expense
* Creates a national infrastructure investment bank to help us make intelligent investments for the future
Thanks to Progressive Democrats of America and Peace Action for this alert.